[CnD] Omlets

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Fri Sep 22 16:58:51 EDT 2017

One omlet maker I had a while back was a half-moon-shaped container that
had the closure on the rounded sides and what passed for a hinge on the
other side.  Something like this could be made from ceramics.  The
difficult part would be the hinges though these wouldn't be impossible.
A way to insure those hinges keep working after the ceramic comes out of
the kiln is to wrap the pin assembly that goes through the rings before
the rings are ever made and secured to the other part of the omlet
container.  The paper is left on the pin or pins as the ceramic goes
into the kiln then the kiln burns that paper out of the hinges.  Because
the paper was wrapped around the pin (maybe wrap two or three
thicknesses), the rings after they got dried and fired will remain
larger than the pin or pins and that's how the container can open and
close if it were made along this design.  Another possibility would use
more ceramic and no hinges of any kind.  It would have a single type
flat bowl and a container that the bowl slides into sideways, though
that might be a bit messy if turned over during cooking process.  The
outside container would be a flat five sided box with one side open into
which the bowl got placed.  Unfortunately, I haven't got access to a
ceramics studio nor do I own one otherwise I'd make a few of these for
members of this list.