[CnD] Making whipped cream

Kathy Brandt katya20707 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 27 04:40:41 EDT 2017

You could probably get away with that, if the plastic bowl is the only thing you have. Since I have a few metal bowls, I never tried it in the plastic when I read that the metal ones would be best for whipping cream and stiffly beating egg whites.

> On Oct 27, 2017, at 1:14 AM, Lisa Belville via Cookinginthedark <cookinginthedark at acbradio.org> wrote:
>
> Hi, Kathy. Thanks for this. Unfortunately, the only glass bowl I have is way too small. How much of a difference would using a plastic bowl make?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Oct 26, 2017, at 11:23 PM, Kathy Brandt via Cookinginthedark <cookinginthedark at acbradio.org> wrote:
>>
>> That is for stiffly beating egg whites, not making whipped cream. For whipped cream, you need to buy what is called heavy or whipping cream. You are right about cold beaters and cold bowl. The bowl should be stainless steel or glass, not plastic, because plastic can absorb the fat from the cream. Put the mixer on high-speed, and then listen for how the sound in the bowl changes, stopping the mixer and checking out how cream feels. You do this, because if you whip too long, the cream will turn into butter.
>>

>>> On Oct 26, 2017, at 8:59 PM, Gary Patterson via Cookinginthedark <cookinginthedark at acbradio.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> 1. First put your beeters in the freezer.
>>> Two: Have your egg whites as cold as you can,
>>> 3. Beet with as fast as possible until egg whites are forming peaks.
>>>
>>> This method whould work.
>>>
>>> Gary Patterson

>>> 8 oz cream cheese
>>> 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
>>> 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
>>> 8 strawberry, halved, to garnish
>>>
>>> Preparation
>>> 1. Crush cookies and mix with butter.
>>> 2. Spread mixture over pie pan, pressing down to make a compact crust. Refrigerate crust while making filling.
>>> 3. Mix filling ingredients, (dulce de leche, cream cheese, and vanilla extract) until smooth. In a separate bowl whip the heavy milk. Mix whipped cream into filling ingredients.
>>> 4. Spread mixture over pie crust.
>>> 5. Refrigerate the pie for at least 4 hours or overnight. (If you’re in a hurry, you could also freeze the pie for 1-2 hours.) 6. Top with strawberries, cut, and serve.