[CnD] Layered Mac and Cheese with Ground Beef Recipe
m51pennington at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 13:32:29 EDT 2018
Layered Mac and Cheese with Ground Beef Recipe
* Prep 30 min
* Total60 min
Its not just for kids anymore. Diners of all ages will enjoy the beefed-up
goodness of this macaroni casserole
2cups uncooked elbow macaroni (8 oz) Save $
1lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef Save $
1teaspoon salt Save $
2tablespoons butter or margarine
2tablespoons all-purpose flour Save $
1/2cup Progresso chicken broth (from 32-oz carton) Save $
3cups shredded Cheddar cheese (12 oz)
1cup soft bread crumbs (about 2 slices bread)
· 1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 2-quart casserole with cooking spray. Cook
and drain macaroni as directed on package.
· 2. Meanwhile, in 10-inch skillet, cook beef, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and
the pepper over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally,
until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain if desired.
· 3. In 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour; cook
1 minute, stirring constantly, until bubbly. Stir in milk; cook 5 to 6
minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens slightly. Stir in broth
and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Remove from heat; stir in cheese. Fold in
4. Spoon 1/3 of the macaroni mixture (about 1 1/3 cups) into casserole; top
with half of the beef (about 1 1/2 cups). Layer with another 1/3 of the
macaroni mixture, remaining beef and remaining macaroni mixture. Top with
· 5. Bake uncovered 25 to 30 minutes or until bread crumbs are golden
* Use Swiss cheese and a dash of ground nutmeg in place of the Cheddar
cheese to bring a whole new flavor to this dish.
* Penne or rotini pasta can be used in place of the elbow macaroni.
Serving Size: 1 Serving
Calories from Fat
% Daily Value
% Daily Value*:
2 1/2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk;
0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 4 High-Fat Meat; 0 Fat;
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
© 2018 ®/TM General Mills All Rights Reserved
More information about the Cookinginthedark