[CnD] How Do You Know When?

Dani Pagador pocketfulofspry at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 17:22:45 EDT 2018

Hi, Everyone.
I have to ask one of those basic cooking questions. How do you know
when you've mixed/whisked/beaten enough? I saw a recipe post this
morning that states, in part, "Beat well." If you were a beginning
blind cook, how would you know when to stop beating?

I am a fair cook who uses basic tools--wooden spoon, rubber spatula,
whisk, measuring cups/spoons, knives, small food processor and
immersion blender (because I was gifted with these). I have no
electric mixer and don't want one till I understand how to do the
thing by hand first.

Sighted people can use their eyes to see when something's been
blended/mixed enough. How do you explain from one blind cook to
another how you gauge when it is time to stop? Or that you need to do
a little bit more?

I have been lucky in that I've managed to mix most things thoroughly.
But there have been a few recipes where I should have mixed more, and
afterward, I wondered what I missed while making it. Was there some
sensory thing I should've known about?

I don't want a mixer because imho it's like throwing a computer at
someone who is just learning to write and spell. If you don't know the
basics of English, then being able to use the spell check and grammar
check in Word isn't going to help you learn what you don't know any
better. In other words, I need to graduate to the mixer.

Gonna stop beating this horse for now. Hope someone can help clarify
this for me.

Thanks,
Dani