[CnD] Probably super easy

Brink-Chaney, Marcie A MBrink-C at dmc.org
Thu Oct 18 11:30:20 EDT 2018

If you have trouble turning things when you are frying them, you can get a double spatula that has one spatula on top of the other and you squeeze the handles together with the bottom spatula under the food and the top one on top and then twist your hand so that the top spatula is on the bottom and then you open the handles up and drop the food.  If you need something to turn a pancake or an egg or other food that is soft on the side that is not cooked yet, you can get a spatula which is called a pancake turner because it is flat and round like the shape of a pancake and it has a lever that you push that flips the one spatula over and turns the food.  For fried eggs, I use an egg ring which has a circular piece that you put the egg in when frying it and it has a handle that you can pick up the ring with and it helps you know where your egg is located in the pan and it keeps the egg  and other foods from losing their shapes and makes it easier to slide your spatula under the egg.  I have used them for pancakes as well.

Another way which doesn't cost anything and makes it easier to turn an egg is to make (eggs in a basket) or they have also called them gas house eggs.  You take a piece of bread of your choice and take a glass or a biscuit cutter and cut out a circle in the middle of the bread.  Put a little butter in a frying pan and after it melts, put the bread in the pan and break the egg in the hole where the circle has been cut out.  Cook till it is half done (if you like over easy or medium eggs.  Slide your spatula under the bread and lift up the bread and egg and turn it over.  Fry for another minute or however long you need to have the egg the way you want it.  You can either toast the bread circle or you can cook it in the frying pan along with your egg. I used this a lot before I got the egg rings.  You can also take the bottom off of a empty tuna can and use the can for an egg ring.

Marcie Brink-Chaney CVRT CATIS
Visually Impaired Services
University Health Center
Detroit Receiving Hospital