[CnD] CP Vegan HONEY LENTILS and BEAN DINNER

Sugar sugarsyl71 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 18 14:23:28 EDT 2018

CP Vegan HONEY LENTILS and BEAN DINNER

Happy Friday Eve, Slow Cookerers!!

Well my friends, I made a mistake (maybe. ? )

I'm not sure if it was a mistake or a sign...

but I watched "What the Health?" Tuesday afternoon on Netflix.

and now I don't want to eat anything.

This is tricky since 1) I like to eat.

                               2) I'm supposed to feed the kids

                               3) it's technically my "job" to give you food
ideas

UGH.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last night I revisited my favorite vegan dinner. It's vegan except for the
Honey, and technically vegans don't eat honey.

I'm not going to get into a long winded discussion on how this doesn't make
sense to me --- it's not like they squeeze the bees to "milk" out the
honey...

so if honey isn't something you are comfortable with, then use a high
quality maple syrup. Not Aunt Jemima.

The only change I made to the Original Recipe was that I used a can of
drained and rinsed black beans instead of garbanzo beans because my 8 year
old doesn't like garbanzos.

I also added about a cup of shredded butternut squash. Trader Joe's sells
the spirals next to the carrots and I figured it was a great way to get a
few more vitamins into the kids.

If you can't find the already peeled and either cubed squash or shredded
squash you can add some sweet potato to bulk up the meal.

It tasted WONDERFUL.

The red onion is important --- don't email me and ask to use a yellow one.
Because if you do I'll probably say it's fine but I'd really rather you use
a red one.

;-)

HONEY LENTILS and BEAN DINNER

serves 6, over white or brown rice. Freezes well.

1 1/2 cups lentils ((brown or green)

3 cups water

1/2 red onion, diced

1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed

1/2 cup shredded or chopped carrot

1 cup peeled and cubed or shredded butternut squash

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 teaspoon dried mustard

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

2 tablespoons soy sauce (La Choy or Tamari Wheat Free are GF)

1/3 cup honey (and maybe another 1 tablespoon later to taste)

1 dried bay leaf or 2 fresh

The Directions.

I used a 4 quart crockpot.

The awesome thing about lentils (actually, there are a few awesome things)
is that they are cheap, full of fiber, and you don't have to pre-soak them.
You really should rinse them off, though.

Put the lentils into your crockpot. Add the water. Chop up the onion, and
add along with the carrots and squash.

Drain and rinse the  beans and add.

Stir in the dried mustard, salt, and ginger.

Add the soy sauce and honey.

Stir to combine. Float the bay leaf (ves) on top.

Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-5.

Taste. If desired, stir in an extra tablespoon of honey.

Serve with white or brown rice.

DELICIOUS.

I was so happy to watch the kids lick their bowls clean!!

:-)

thank you!!

Stephanie O'Dea

1534 Plaza Lane #256, Burlingame California, 94010-3204

'Forgiveness doesn't make the other person right, it makes you free.

People will forget what you said...

People will forget what you did....

But people will NEVER forget how you made them feel.'

Please consider in supporting me for a 2nd chance of life at:

-Hugs, Sugar