[CnD] CP Mulled Wine & Wassail (spiced cider)

Sugar Lopez sugarsyl71 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 28 15:06:16 EST 2018

CP Mulled Wine & Wassail (spiced cider)

I hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

My internet has been incredibly wonky these last couple of days.

Is it because everyone is trying to cyber shop?

hmmmm.

I'm not really sure. I do know that the weather has turned bitter cold for a
lot of you -- so please stay cozy and warm.

Here are two fun recipes for warming bellies and hearts this week. Mulled
wine has alcohol in it (duh!) but Wassail does not.

enjoy!

Mulled Wine

serves 8

2 bottles dry red wine (I used Cabernet Sauvignon)

1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 3 oranges)

2 more oranges (one to float on top, and one for garnish wedges)

3/4 cup white sugar

1/4 teaspoon allspice

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

4 cinnamon sticks

4 whole cloves

Open the wine and pour it into your slow cooker (use either a 4 or 6-quart).
Squeeze the oranges to get 1 cup of juice.

I'm sure you could get away with using store-bought juice, but the pulp
floating around is what's kind of neat about mulled wine; it's more rustic
this way.

And oranges are in season.

Stir in the sugar, and add the ground spices. Float the cinnamon sticks and
whole cloves on top. Slice one of the oranges in rings, and float the rings
on top.

Cover and cook on high for 2 hours, or on low for 4.

Wassail (spiced cider)

serves 8

2 quarts apple cider

1 cup pineapple juice

1/2 cup honey

3 sticks cinnamon

2 whole cloves

1 whole orange, cut in rings

(brandy, optional, to add after cooking to individual mugs.)

Use a 4-6 quart crockpot. This makes 9 cups of juice.

I *just* watched an Unwrapped episode where they explained the difference
between cider and juice: you can't see through cider, because they use the
whole apple.

Put all of the ingredients into the crockpot.

Wash your orange well, and cut off each end. Slice the remaining orange into
rings, and float the pieces on the top of the juice.

Cook on high for 2 hours, or on low for about 4. You want the juice
completely hot, and the flavor of the cloves and the cinnamon to have
permeated.

Ladle into mugs. If you are going to add the brandy, put a shot into each
mug, then top with the hot cider.

The VERDICTS:

It's fun to have a slow cooker simmering a hot beverage for your guests (and
for YOU!). It warms the house up and smells absolutely delicious.

When serving guests, provide a ladle, and keep the crockpot lid off, and the
pot turned to low. If your pot is on warm with the lid off, it won't stay
quite hot enough.

I hope you enjoy your Wednesday, and if you score any good deals on things,
let me know!

Happy Slow Cooking!

xoxo steph

"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever
state I am, therewith to be content."

- Philippines 4:11

Please Remember me at:

Hugs, Sugar