[CnD] Christmas Cookie Recipes

Penny Reeder penny.reeder at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 08:05:24 EST 2018

Hi Ellen, These are the best holiday cookies I have made over the past
few years. You could make a big pan-full and take care of lots of
people to whom you want to give gifts, or bring to a holiday party.
They would not mail well because of the icing, and they wouldn't keep
all that well unless you stored in the freezer. But, they are really
delicious!

If you line the baking pan with parchment before filling with the
batter, they're easier to remove and cut.

Enjoy!
Penny

FRUITCAKE BROWNIES

These irresistible treats are filled with dried apricots, figs and
cherries as well as dates and walnuts, and are topped with a cream
cheese frosting.

Brownies
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (2 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter
9 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
1/3 cup chopped dried figs
1/3 cup chopped pitted dates
1/3 cup dried sour cherries or dried currants

Frosting
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups sifted powdered sugar

Walnut halves (optional)

For Brownies:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Combine 1
cup butter and semisweet and unsweetened chocolates in heavy medium
saucepan. Stir over low heat until chocolates melt and mixture is
smooth. Cool to lukewarm.

Using electric mixer, beat sugar and 3 eggs in large bowl until very
thick and pale, about 3 minutes. Stir in chocolate mixture and vanilla
extract. Whisk 1 cup flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl to
blend. Stir dry ingredients into chocolate mixture. Mix in walnuts and
dried fruits.

Transfer batter to prepared dish; smooth top. Bake until top cracks
and tester inserted into center comes out with a few moist crumbs
attached, about 35 minutes. Cool in pan on rack.

For frosting:
Combine room temperature cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract in
processor. Blend until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl
occasionally. Add sugar and process to blend. Spread frosting over
brownies. Refrigerate until frosting is well chilled, about 2 hours.
(Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Cover; keep refrigerated.)

Cut brownies into squares. Arrange on platter; garnish with walnuts,
if desired, and serve.

Makes about 24.
  Bon Appétit December 1995

And, I made these adorable and delicious tartletsfor Thanksgiving. The
dough recipe is exactly the same dough I make for pie crust (except
that my recipe for pie crust doubles everything and makes 2 crusts),
so it was really easy for me to remove one of the balls of pie crust
dough I had made in advance and stored in the freezer, and put these
cute little tartlets together. They were a big hit!

I found the easiest way to line the little mini-muffin-cups with dough
was to make 24 little balls of dough and then flatten them between my
palms, and then fit them in. I also found that it was easier to remove
the finished tartlets from the pan if I let them cool a lot before
trying, and using a small fork worked better for me than the tip of a
knife.

Tiny Tim Cranberry Tarts
Makes 24
Ingredients

For the crust

8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature

3 ounces low-fat or regular cream cheese

1 cup flour

For the filling

1 egg

3/4 cup sugar

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup (2 ounces) chopped walnuts

72 (3 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries

Directions

For the crust: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Have ready a nonstick
mini-muffin pan that will
accommodate 24 tarts.

In a bowl, using a food processor or your fingertips, combine 8
tablespoons of butter, the cream cheese
and flour until a ball of dough forms. The dough should be fairly
moist and come together easily.

Cut it into 24 pieces and place each piece into a mini-muffin tin pan.
Using your fingertips, press the
dough over the bottom and all the way up the sides of each cup.

For the filling: In a bowl using an electric mixer on medium speed,
combine the egg, sugar, butter and
vanilla and mix well. Stir in the nuts.

Place 3 cranberries in each cup and spread some of the nut mixture
over the cranberries, filling each cup
so the cranberries are covered.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until well browned. Transfer the pan to a
wire rack to cool slightly. Run the
tip of a knife around the edge of each tart to  loosen, then slip the
tarts out of the pan.

Enjoy!

On 11/29/18, ellen telker via Cookinginthedark