[CnD] recipe needed

Penny Reeder penny.reeder at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 22:25:27 EST 2019

Here's one we enjoy:
Enchiladas Verdes
Ingredients
For the chicken (or use 1 1/4 pounds leftover or store-bought roast chicken):
*	2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs or breasts, or a mixture
*	1 small white onion, cut in half
*	4 cloves of garlic
*	1 tablespoon kosher salt
For the salsa verde:
*	1 pound fresh tomatillos, husked, rinsed and cut into quarters (use
canned if you can't find
fresh)
*	1 small white onion, peeled and chopped
*	1 clove of garlic, peeled and chopped
*	2 serrano chiles or more to taste, seeds removed if you want it less
spicy, stemmed and roughly
chopped
*	4 to 5 tender stems of fresh cilantro, with leaves, roughly chopped
*	Salt to taste
For the enchiladas:
*	1/2 cup neutral oil, like canola
*	12 yellow corn tortillas
*	1 cup crumbled queso fresco or cotija cheese
*	1 cup Mexican crema, or use crème fraîche or sour cream
*	1 medium-size white onion, peeled and chopped (optional)

Preparation
1.	Prepare the chicken: Place chicken parts in a large saucepan with
onion, garlic and salt, and cover with water. Heat pan over high
heat until liquid comes to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and let
simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 20 to 25
minutes. Remove chicken and let cool, reserving stock for another use.
Using your fingers or two forks, shred meat from chicken
and reserve, discarding skin and bones. (Alternatively, shred meat
from leftover or store-bought roast chicken and set aside.)
2.	Meanwhile, heat oven to 375, and make the salsa verde: Combine
tomatillos, onion, garlic, serranos and cilantro in a blender or
food processor and purée until smooth, adding water as needed to thin
it out a little. Season with salt to taste.
3.	Prepare the tortillas: In medium sauté pan set over medium-high
heat, heat oil until it begins to shimmer. Using tongs or a wide
spatula, place a tortilla in the hot fat; it should start to bubble
immediately. Heat tortilla for about 10 seconds a side, until soft and
lightly browned. Remove tortilla and set on a rack set over a baking
pan, or just on a baking pan if you don't have a rack. Repeat
with remaining tortillas, working quickly.
4.	Assemble the enchiladas: Use a ladle to put about 1/2 cup salsa
verde in the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking pan and spread it out
a little. Roll a few tablespoons of shredded chicken into each
tortilla with a teaspoon or so of salsa verde and place it seam-side
down in the pan, nestling each one against the last. Ladle salsa verde
over top of rolled tortillas and sprinkle with about half the
crumbled cheese.
5.	Transfer to oven and bake until sauce bubbles and cheese is melted,
about 15 minutes. Dot with crema, sprinkle with remaining
cheese and, if using, chopped onion, then serve immediately.
NOTE: Cooks' notes suggest, microwaving the whole stack of corn
tortillas for 10-20 seconds, then keeping covered with a
kitchen towel to preserve moisture, and dragging each one separately
through the verde sauce before filling with the mixture of
sauce and chicken. Also, using Hatch Brand Salsa Verde instead of
making your own.

On 3/6/19, Nicole Massey via Cookinginthedark