[CnD] Fasolakia (green beans in tomato sauce)
nippercat1 at verizon.net
Tue Mar 12 05:57:14 EDT 2019
2 pounds fresh green beans
5 cups water
1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes (canned are fine)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup garlic chopped fine
1/2 cup onion chopped fine
2 tablespoons tomato paste in 1/4 cup warm water
1 teaspoon salt/pepper
3 tablespoons fresh dill
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of sugar (optional but recommended)
1. Wash and trim off ends of green beans.
2. Heat olive oil and gently cook garlic and onion in heavy bottomed saucepan..
3. Add water, tomatoes, tomato paste in warm water and spices. Stir to combine and bring up to a simmer.
4. Add green beans; stir and bring to low simmer.
5. Cover and cook for 50-60 minutes.
6. Allow the beans to sit 410-15 minutes after removing pan from heat.
7. Serve hot with a piece of crusty bread and enjoy!
Cooking tips: remember to chop your garlic and onions as fine as possible. Be sure to cook your beans the full hour on stove top; slower and longer cook time will make beans more tender. You can always toss a potato or two in the pot along with an extra cup of water.
You can also eat leftovers chilled.
More information about the Cookinginthedark