[CnD] CP Italian Sloppy Joes

Sugar Lopez sugarsyl71 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 27 12:05:10 EDT 2019

CP Italian Sloppy Joes

Good day, Slow Cookerers!!

My fingers are crossed that this week is better than last. I think it will
be, since I logged 10 HOURS OF SLEEP LAST NIGHT.

I feel brand new! And it's awesome! And I don't even need coffee but I'm
going to drink it anyway!

:-)

Alright, let's talk Sloppy Joes.

Sloppy Joes need to stage a comeback. They are a fun and easy way to stretch
a pound of ground beef or turkey.

Most recipes call for using a bunch of ketchup in the base, but we find that
a bit too sweet for our liking.

This is a good mix of savory with just a touch of sugar to offset the strong
onion and garlic flavor.

I serve our Sloppy Joes on toasted hamburger buns with a slice of cheese --
Adam likes Pepper Jack, and the kids ask for cheddar.

Because these are "Italian" Sloppy Joes, traditionally you should use
Mozzarella cheese.

but we've never been all that "traditional..."

Italian Sloppy Joes

serves 6

1 1/2 pounds lean turkey or ground beef (see below for vegetarian option)

1 onion, peeled and diced

6 cloves garlic, minced

8 ounces sliced mushrooms, chopped

2 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning

1 tablespoon white sugar

2 cups tomato sauce

6 toasted hamburger buns (we use gluten free buns)

sliced cheese for serving

The Directions.

Use a 4-quart slow cooker.

Place the ground meat into your insert, and stir in the onion and garlic.

Add mushrooms, Italian seasoning, and sugar.

Stir in the tomato sauce.

Cover, and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours, or on high for about 4 hours.

Stir very well to break the meat up completely before serving.

The Verdict.

I usually have everything in the house to make this recipe and make some
kind of variation of it every few weeks.

It's easier than making hamburger on a bun because I can toss everything
into the cooker and leave the house for the day.

Our evenings are quite busy with kid sports and meetings so this way
everyone can serve themselves when they are home and ready to eat.

Can this be made vegetarian?

YES. You can goof around with using riced cauliflower or broccoli instead of
ground meat.

You can also use your favorite meatless ground substitute the same way.

If you are gluten free, be sure to read packages of meat-substitutes
carefully. (this is why I go straight to the broccoli or cauliflower
"rice.")

note that if you cook the meat ahead of time then the time is shortened and
all you are doing in the crockpot is warming everything up.

smile!

happy slow cooking! steph

"How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard."

- - Winnie the Pooh

-Sugar