[CnD] Sugar-Free Coconut Shrimp Recipe

Sugar Lopez sugarsyl71 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 18 16:04:38 EDT 2019

Sugar-Free Coconut Shrimp Recipe

www.verywell.com

Nutrition Highlights (per serving)

Calories, 354

Fat, 23g

Carbs, 23g

Protein, 13g

Total Time 25 min

Prep 5 min, Cook 20 min

Servings 3

Coconut shrimp is a fan favorite finger food-it is crispy, slightly sweet,
and of course, features delicious shrimp! But restaurant and party versions
of this appetizer can often be over sweet and therefore loaded with sugar.
In this sugar-free version of coconut shrimp, the sweetener in the coating
is optional, so you can add a bit to mimic the popular restaurant versions'
sweetness if you desire.

These sugar-free coconut shrimp can be served as an appetizer, party food,
or main course.

Ingredients

1/3 cup coconut flour

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (ground, or 1 teaspoon ground ancho pepper)

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1 teaspoon salt

2 eggs

2 tablespoons water

Optional: sugar substitute (such as stevia) to taste

1/2 cup coconut (unsweetened shredded coconut)

Cooking oil of your choice, such as vegetable or canola, for frying

1-pound large shrimp (raw, peeled and deveined and thaw if frozen)

Preparation

1. Mix coconut flour with seasonings in a shallow bowl.

2. Whisk the eggs with a fork in a small dish, and mix with the 2
tablespoons water. Add sweetener if desired.

3. Put shredded coconut in a separate dish.

4. Pour oil into a large skillet to about 3/4-inch depth. Heat to 350 to 360
F, or until the end of a wooden spoon handle dipped into the oil collects
bubbles around it.

Sugar's Note, you can usually hear the sizzling of the oil. Usually about 10
minutes.

5. Holding shrimp by the tail, roll in the seasoned coconut flour and shake
to get most of it off-you just want a thin coating. Then dip in egg mixture,
again shaking off the excess. Finally, roll in coconut.

6. Place shrimp in the oil and fry until golden, about 2 minutes per side.
Don't crowd the pan, which will lower the temperature of the oil-this makes
them absorb more oil and end up heavy and greasy. Tongs are the best tool
for turning and removing the shrimp.

7. Remove shrimp from the oil to a paper towel or cooling rack.

Cooking and Nutrition Notes

To thaw shrimp, place frozen shrimp in a colander and place under cold
running water for several minutes until shrimp are no longer icy and stiff.
Place between paper towels to absorb the water.

When frying the shrimp, you can put each in the oil as you bread them, but
you will have to watch the shrimp you put in the skillet first closely to
make sure they're not getting overcooked (and don't forget to flip!). An
alternative method is to bread a few shrimps at once and then put them all
in the pan at the same time (as long as they fit without being too crowded)

Keep in mind that the calorie count listed here can vary since the amount of
oil used by each cook can differ depending on the pan size. It is also
difficult to get a precise number since the frying temperature will affect
the amount of oil absorbed. In addition, the exact amount of coconut
breading per shrimp will vary.

Sugar's Note: I am not a fan of fried foods but I've made this for a couple
of parties.

People enjoyed them!

I personally don't feel it is worth my time and effort for the amount of
carbs just to have 3 shrimps.

If you do enjoy and have fun!

Happy Cooking!

"How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard."

- - Winnie the Pooh

-Sugar