[CnD] Instant Pot Vortex Plus accessibility

Cristóbal Muñoz cristobalmuli at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 21:58:37 EDT 2019

Hello list,

I came across a posting for a new appliance from the Instant Pot company.
It’s a 7 in 1 counter top air fryer. See:
https://www.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/shopping/2019/07/instant-pot-air-fryer

Exclusively sold through Walmart right now actually. I guess because of them
competing with Amazon Prime Day, they’re taking $20 off of its usual $120
price too.

Anyway, my reason for posting is to ask if anyone’s bought one or had the
chance to play with it yet?

I’ve poked around and checked out YouTube videos and everyone seems to love
it. Not only is it an air fryer, it’s also a toaster oven, rotisserie,
dehydrator and some other stuff that I can’t recall right now. It’s also  10
quarts capacity which is way bigger than most air fryers out there.

I reached out to a YouTube personality who did an unboxing and some other
videos on it and asked her if there were dedicated areas on the display
touchscreen. Buttons would be better, but even with a touchscreen, it could
be workable with some marking up/labeling. This is her response.

“Hello. What wonderful questions. I did a little research for you using my
Vortex and what I fund was, each function does have it's own designated area
to press that is constant. The increase and decrease area for time and
temperature always go up in down in the same increments if you quickly
depress it (The time goes up and down by increments of 1 min and the
temperature in increments of 5 degrees). However, all of the modes start at
the last temperature and time you used it last. It would have been so much
better had they each defaulted to a set time/temperature. Hope this helps”

This jives with what my sighted wife saw on videos too.

My only concern was where the YouTube lady mentioned that it remembered your
last user settings. This would be a problem. I asked her if there was any
way to somehow reset the device to some sort of default time/temp. Sadly,
she said from her playing with it, (unplugging and plugging back in,
pressing and holding a button, etc) no. It remembered whatever the last
temp/time was.

This is probably a deal breaker for me then since there would be no way
without sighted help to know what temp/time you’re starting off at.

So, if anyone does in fact know how to reset the Vortex Plus (I’m surprised
that they didn’t include some sort of default reset even as a mainstream
option), I’d really like to know how to do it.

That aside, writing to the manufacture inquiring about this one feature that
again, would be the only real barrier from a totally blind person using it
would I’m sure help for any future releases of this appliance. The YouTube
lady said she was also going to write them asking/lobbying that this be
included in the future as well.

I’ll be doing the same as soon as I send this email.

Thanks,

Cristóbal