[CnD] CP Homemade Tomato Soup

Sugar Lopez sugarsyl71 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 2 17:44:47 EDT 2019

CP Homemade Tomato Soup

Happy Friday, Slow Cookerers!!

There are 150 days left in 2019.  This is important because between now and
then there are SO MANY recipes you can try in your crockpot!!

:-)

But today? Let's make tomato soup.

I hate tomato soup from the can. I hate it. I think it looks gross, smells
gross, and tastes like metal.

It also has wheat starch in it for some stupid reason.

Hmm. It looks like I have rather strong feelings about canned tomato soup. I
should probably talk to someone about that.

;-)

But I can't seem to get enough of fancy restaurant tomato soup.

It tastes much different than canned soup---it's both sweet and tangy, and
the bit of cream leaves a nice velvet layer on your tongue.

This is a great way to use up a tomato surplus from your garden.

Homemade Tomato Soup

serves 4 to 6

3 pounds vine-ripened tomatoes

1 medium onion, peeled and chopped

2 cups tomato juice

1 cup cooking sherry (or regular sherry, or apple juice)

3 tablespoons granulated white sugar

1 chicken (or vegetable) boullion cube

2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

to add later:

--2 cups heavy cream

--salt and pepper to taste

optional:

sour cream and/or Parmesan cheese for garnish

The Directions.

Use a 5-6 quart crockpot for this soup.

Wash all of your tomatoes, and cut them in quarters.

Nope, we're not going to peel the tomatoes, yay!

To save your counter top from tomato gook, put your cutting board on a
cookie sheet with sides. The juice will then stay inside the cookie sheet.

Put all the tomatoes in your crockpot.

Chop up the onion, and add it.

Cover with the tomato juice and sherry, and drop in the bouillon cube. Stir
in the sugar and chopped basil.

Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

If you'd like your soup to have chunks, go ahead and stir in the cream.

If you'd prefer a chunk-free soup, CAREFULLY use an immersible blender to
soupify, or blend in small batches in a traditional blender.

Then stir in the heavy cream.

Eat.

Smile.

The Verdict.

We ate this with some drop biscuits and licked our bowls. My tomato-loving
child thought it was a "bit too tomato-y," but ate it and my tomato-hater
lapped up tons.

This is an elegant soup, perfect for a starter at a fancy dinner, or to
serve with sandwiches at a tea party.

Or you can stand at the counter and eat it directly out of the pot.

I'm excited for lunch.

have a happy Friday, and a very (very!) happy weekend.

AND: happy Slow Cooking!!

:-)

steph

"I seldom think about my limitations, and they never make me sad. Perhaps
there is just a touch of yearning at times; but it is vague, like a breeze
among flowers."

Hellen Keller

Blessings, Sugar