[Friends] Tonight's Books And Beyond

Nancy Lynn freespirit52 at charter.net
Wed Apr 7 16:11:49 GMT 2010

Braille books are still a very important part of life for many of us. What
other options are there for obtaining books apart from the branches of the
National Library service. Tonight, we will spotlight just one of those
libraries.

Our guest, Rev. David Andrus will talk about his work in the Lutheran church
and specifically his work with the Blind Lutheran Mission in St. Louis,Mo.

How did this particular library get its start. How are books chosen and
added to the collection?

Rev. Andrus is an integral part of this effort. Totally blind since losing
his sight at the age of 11, he enjoys woodworking  and remodeling houses in
which he  lives.  Active in his community, he is  married and the father of
two.

His family encouraged him to believe in another type of vision. To that end,
he has pursued positively  many interests and created a rich rewarding life
filled with many accomplishments.   In his spare time, he enjoys doing
anything with his children and attending live theater. A graduate of
Concordia College with a degree in evangelism he went on to become a
minister serving God in the Lutheran Church. What is that life like? Is it
difficult for a congregation to accept a blind pastor?

Here is some information about Dave Andrus he sent for me to share.  Below
you will find information about how to attend the show this evening.
Dave Andrus  grew up in the state of Wisconsin.
He then received his Master of Divinity degree in 1985 from Concordia
Seminary, St. Louis, MO.

He served as pastor at Our Redeemer Lutheran Church, St. Louis, MO from
1985-98. During his 12.5 years of service in this urban setting the
congregation grew in a declining neighborhood.

He now is the Executive Director of Lutheran Blind Mission.

Rev. Andrus is a founder and past-chairman of the Lutheran Blind Mission
Society. He also helped establish the Christian Blind Institute, a
correspondent school which trains blind and visually impaired leaders.

Rev. David Andrus has written several times for Portals of Prayer, Concordia
Pulpit Resource, and Creative Worship for the Parish. He also has written
many articles about Lutheran Blind Mission's present work which have been
published in Synod's many vehicles of informational distribution.

 To come to tonight's show, please call 218-844-3388 and then put in the pin
code books or 26657. Press the pound key and you will be there. As is often
the case,the show begins at 8 pp.m. eastern time.We ask that you come a few
minutes before so we can chat and get to know each other a little before we
begin. Come with questions of your own for this guest who truly is making a
difference in the world and particularly his community.