[Friends] Tonight's Books And Beyond

Nancy Lynn freespirit52 at charter.net
Sat Jan 30 14:13:55 GMT 2010

Is it possible to fall in love with the author of a book? Yes! As I read the
last of the five books by Eva Rutland available on the download site, I grew
more and more certain the above answer to the question  remained yes.
How fortunate we are when we read not only a great book but one that speaks
to our hearts. When an author can take us in to her world, when we can feel
her pain and her tears, embrace with her all she has told us including her
triumph and victory over difficulties, we know we have met and spent time
with a master of her craft.
Eva Rutland is all that and more.  We may live whole lives and never read or
meet one,  but sometimes we are given fortune beyond price.
Eva Rutland, author of 20 novels, including, Marriage Bait, The Million
Dollar Marriage, Almost A Wife, Heart And Soul, and No Crystal Stair, all
available on the download site, is our guest tonight. Eva Grew up  in a time
when integration was a dream yet unrealized. In the world of African
Americans, the answer  to most simple desires in life was a resounding no.
No, you cannot sit here, eat in this restaurant, attend the neighborhood
school with all the white kids. For black men, even with education and
degrees that indicated their knowledge and skill, doors for jobs in which
their intellect and ability would be employed  remained closed.
What is it like to have hopes and dreams that cannot be fulfilled? How does
this affect a family? What can you do when the answer is no over and over
again? Where can you find hope and strength to go on?
InEva's life, integration came finally. As a mother of a six year old
daughter, how do you send your child  out in to a world that will very
likely reject her? Should your daughter be the first? What can a mother do
if that world steals her innocent happiness? We all discover all those we
meet will not love  us or even like us? What would you do if you were the
first to enter a school beginning the process of integration?
Many years have passed since these events took place. In the voice of Eva
Rutland, in No Crystal Stair, she will take you there. She will remember and
you will never forget what that world was like. You will come away from
hearing  her  wanting more   knowing you have met a courageous and very
strong woman.
To listen to the show, go to www.ACBRadio.org on the mainstream page and
choose your player and connection speed. It begins airing tomorrow morning
at 1 hour UTC or tonight at 8pm US eastern time. Check the schedule for
other replay times.