[Mm-friends] Windows 8 narrator and braille displays?RE: old mainmenu shows

Sabahattin Gucukoglu listsebby at me.com
Tue Dec 11 22:53:44 GMT 2012

On 11 Dec 2012, at 14:56, Paul Hunt <prhunt1 at att.net> wrote:
> Hello everyone. I would like a straight answer on this question if one
> exists. Can I install Windows 8 with narrator without sighted assistance?
> How about Windows 7? I get the impression that If I have a USB headset I
> should be able to install Windows 7 with narrator as well? This has always
> been my major complaint  with Windows and the reason I bought a Mac. If we
> can't install or maintain our own computers then the OS cannot be considered
> accessible in my opinion.

Short answer: no, you cannot install Windows without sighted assistance.

Long answer: you cannot install without sighted assistance if no existing Windows environment is present on the machine.  If it is, then you may be able to, depending on Windows' support for your sound hardware and the availability of online drivers from Microsoft.

Apple's accessibility strategy is great, but it isn't perfect.  I say this as a long-time Apple switcher (since Leopard) and I regard the capability to install the OS as a highlight, one of many which I consider the platform to offer over Windows.  However, Windows can be installed in an unattended fashion without sighted assistance also, so although I disagree that this makes Windows accessible, it is at least an option.  You will, however, need an existing installation of Windows installed in order to build the answer file, which sort of defeats the whole purpose.  But it's possible.

Cheers,
Sabahattin