[Mm-friends] Windows 8: What It Is Really Like

kelsey trevett trevk007 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 23:30:04 GMT 2012

A friend of mine has Supernova with Windows 8.  I went to check
it out and although Windows 8 is not so accessible with
Supernova, it still works.  However, I would suggest using NVDA,
JAWS or Windows Eyes (or Narrator) for a perminent screenreader
with Windows 8.  Despite the fact that Supernova actually works
with Windows 8, it is very slow and unreliable and seems to have
got into the habbit of shutting itself down (Supernova I mean) so
perhaps Dulphin need to have a look and see what is going on.
The store in Windows 8 is rather accessible however it can mess
you around a little.  Do note that the apps marked
`accessibility: no` are not always unaccessible and then again
the apps marked `accessibility: yes` aren't always accessible.
So don't take the accessibility into consideration too much.
The start screen works great with the screenreaders mentioned
previously in this thread and NVDA 2012,3 has incorperated the
new feature well.
The new Charms are like search boxes and options that can be used
from within Windows.  They pop out from the side of the currently
active Window.  This may seem like a bad idea for screenreaders
as it may not read the charm but there is no need to worry.  It
still works perfectly.
Narrator has made a large jump from a rather bad piece of
software to a highly accessible software package.  Instead of the
old, boaring, unclear voices Microsoft provided previously, two
new (I think) voices have been included instead: Hazel and Sarah.
Having one British English and the other American English these
voices allow users to have a choice of accents and people.  Of
course the older voices are still available from the internet if
you prefer them.
Internet Explorer 10 has two different aspects in Windows 8.
There is a desktop version which is a full version of IE10 whilst
the version on the start screen is just an app of Internet
Explorer 10.  The app doesn't include favourites, for those of
you with low vision, the address bar is on the bottom and some
other small adjustments.
Outlook is no longer required.  A brand new mail program called
`mail` is now in Windows 8.  This is highly accessible with a
list of messages and folders to choose from.  There is also new
apps for people and messaging.
Windows 8 now has locator tracking along with lots of apps you
can use with this.  These include weather which appears on your
start screen telling you the basic forecast without having to
even enter the app, maps, travel and lots more from the store.
With all the features above and a screenreader (or narrator),
Windows 8 provides a smooth and simple experience for those blind
computer users who wish to keep up with the latest technology.
I hope this helps you.
Kelsey

accessibility.