[Mm-friends] Fwd: The New Victor Reader Stream?Smaller, Smarter and Wireless!

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 23:05:30 EST 2013

David and all,

While I would personally choose the iTouch 5 over even the new Stream
because of what the iTouch is able to access, I do agree with you that the
quality of the voice is an important factor in choosing a device for book
reading and our other listening needs. VoiceOver on iOS  has a good enough
voice, but I wouldn't use it to listen to a novel or even a textbook at a
high speed. Even when I read emails or similar things on my iPhone, which I
have set to a 90 percent speaking rate, I sometimes miss information because
of the clarity of VoiceOver at those high speeds. Now, some of my thoughts
here could be somewhat biased because of my preference of human narrators or
Braille over synthesized speech when reading books. However, if I had to use
speech synthesizers frequently to read books and long documents and I was
making my choice based solely on the quality of the speech, I would choose
the new Stream. But, to me, features are more important in choosing which
technology to buy than the voice. So, if we're talking about features, I
would choose the iTouch (or better yet, the iPhone) with no question.

Also, please excuse my signature below. As the co-chair of the Public
Relations Committee for the Maryland Association of Blind Students (MDABS,)
I am writing a lot of emails to people which are related to the division,
especially lately as we are planning for a seminar which we are trying to
hold in April. Therefore, I need to have that signature there so people can
connect me to what I'm writing about.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Nusbaum, Co-Chair