[Mm-friends] FW: Prescription labeling for Blind and Low Vision customers

David Tanner david.tanner100 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 22:09:17 EDT 2013

From: Nancy Miracle [mailto:nmiracle at gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2013 5:39 PM
To: David Tanner
Subject: Prescription labeling for Blind and Low Vision customers

Hi David,

There is an issue that I think will be of great interest to your listeners
that involves labeling of prescriptions for people who are blind and low
vision.   This is actually a chance for people who are blind and low vision
to participate in the legislative process and (at least to some extent),
determine that their view are heard.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to give me a call 817 571
3083

Nanry Miracle

What: The US Access Board Working Group on Accessible Prescription Labels is
holding open meetings to determine best practices f--or labeling
prescriptions for the blind and visually impaired.

When:  Monday, March 18 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm Eastern Time

Where:  Telephone 888-603-7094, passcode 6317703.  Dial in any time during
the meeting; the public comment period is anticipated to start between 4:15
and 4:30 pm Eastern time.

Why:  Prescription information should be accessible to everyone, regardless
of vision condition.

The board is not, at this time, considering codes that can be read by mobile
devices such as the iPhone or Android and it is not considering mobile
technology as an option for label reading or recording.  We believe that
this is an option that should be included in the recommendations because of
its convenience, low cost of implementation, power and portability.

We encourage all members of the blind and low vision community to find out
more about this committee and to consider giving some input on the topic
because the results almost certainly will determine how your prescriptions
are labeled in the future.

For more information, read on!

How does the Working Group affect you?

The US Access Board Working Group on Accessible Prescription Labels is
holding hearings to determine best practices f--or labeling prescriptions
for the blind and visually impaired.

The working group is a public body and meetings are open to the public.  So,
if you want to participate and make your opinions known, you have a chance
to do so!

The next meeting is scheduled Monday, March 18 from 1:00pm to 5:00pm ET. The
Access Board will be specifically discussing audio labeling of
prescriptions.  The document they are working from is here:

 <http://www.access-board.gov/drug-labels/practices-summary.htm>
http://www.access-board.gov/drug-labels/practices-summary.htm

And the hearing will start with the line titled "Practice of Providing
Audible Labels -- Digital voice recorders attached to a prescription drug
container"

The committee typically discusses their document and then saves the last 30
or 45 minutes for a "Public Forum" and open the phone lines for public
comments.

The dial-in number is 888-603-7094 and the pass code is 6317703.  You can
dial in any time.

We'd like to encourage-- people who are interested in mobile solutions to
attend the next meeting by phone and speak up for the option of including
mobile technology as one of the audio options.

We recommend that you prepare a short statement to read to the committee
that says something to the effect:

"My name is _____________ and my vision condition is ________________.   I
use the iPhone and other mobile technology in my daily life (give examples
as to why it is useful).  I believe that the commit should include the use
of labeling that can be read and voiced by mobile devices such as the
Android or iPhone because (state your reason for wanting mobile technology
included - we believe it is a useful solution because it means we don't have
to carry around a bulky reader or use a special recorder and can just use
the same convenient prescription bottles that everyone else uses!)

It is not all that common for us, as citizens, to be able to influence the
course of legislation, but this is a great opportunity to speak up and say
what we want and how we want it!

Using Labels Readable with Digital Technology

At this time, the committee is considering only existing solutions such as
bottle recorders and ScriptTalk. We believe that it is in everyone's best
interest to understand that there is no single good solution to making
prescription labels accessible and that the range of solutions should
include the use of labels (QR code and other) that can be read by devices
such as the iPad, iPod, Android or iPhone.

Here is a sample pharmaceutical label that can be printed on a simple,
inexpensive round label and fitted on the bottom of a standard 40ml
prescription bottle.
<http://www.digit-eyes.com/graphics/pharma-see/sampleLabel1.png>
http://www.digit-eyes.com/graphics/pharma-see/sampleLabel1.png

Image removed by sender.

This code can be scanned and voiced with any QR code scanning app on the
iPhone, Android or other device that can read and voice QR codes.  You can,
for instance, read it with the free version of Digit-Eyes:
<https://appstore.com/digiteyeslite> https://appstore.com/digiteyeslite

 As shown in the sample label, the content can include personalized
information about the prescription as well as a link to the authoritative
source of information about the medicine in the bottle (in this case, a
sample penicillin label, a link is included to the Medline Plus page for the
specific formulation in the bottle.)
<http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a685015.html>
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a685015.html

 The advantage of this type of labeling is straightforward:  for people who
have a phone that can scan codes, no bulky reader or awkward addition to
their pill bottle is needed.   The "reader" is where the person is - it
won't be accidentally left behind and the phone is easily charged and highly
reliable.

More information about Our Porposal

We have been attending the meetings both in person and by phone and we will
continue to do so.  We presented Digit-Eyes to the board and described a new
product titled "Pharma-See" that we are proposing to give away as a free app
to consumers.   This new product uses the existing Digit-Eyes scanning,
recording and playback technology or the existing text technology (as best
suits the customer and pharmacy) and it is set up to allow pharmacies to do
a simple one-time recording on a label on the bottom of the bottle.

More information:    <http://pharma-see.com> http://pharma-see.com

About the board

The charter of the board:

 <http://www.access-board.gov/news/drug-labels-working-group.htm>
http://www.access-board.gov/news/drug-labels-working-group.htm

The overview and minutes:

 <http://www.access-board.gov/drug-labels/index.htm>
http://www.access-board.gov/drug-labels/index.htm

The recommendations from the meeting of the Access Board on January 10-11: