[Mm-friends] Audio related mailing lists or podcasts

David Tanner david.tanner100 at gmail.com
Mon May 27 22:56:53 EDT 2013

Hi Guys and Gals,

Goldwave is a very nice software, and has many features that cannot be found
on Studio Recorder, but Studio Recorder also has a number of features that
make it better for the person using speech to use than Goldwave.  I use both
when I am doing music recording and editing.

Studio Recorder is much easier to use for editing a file, but when it comes
to a variety of file types, and things like noise reduction and removing
hiss or pops and crackles in a recording Studio Recorder has nothing to
assist with cleaning up an audio recording.  And, my hobby is getting old
vynal records and recording them and editing them until they sound just like
a brand new cd.  You won't be able to do that with Studio Recorder.

What I do a lot of times is to do the original recording with Studio
Recorder, get everything in the file edited down to where the entire album
is in one *.WAV file.  Then I take that file into Goldwave, normalize it to
where I want it, do all the pop and crackel removal, then remove any hiss
from the recording, then once the MP3 tag is filled out I use the Q's
feature in Goldwave to automatically mark the silence in the file between
each song.  Then The next thing is to use the split file feature to split
the file into separate files for each song.  Once that is done I run another
batch process in Goldwave that trims all the silence at the beginning and
ends of each file, and normalizes the file again.

By the time that process is finished I have a group of all the songs in
separate files, fully edited and ready to be droped into a folder and
brought into my iTunes library after I get all the song information put into
each of the file's mp3 tags.  And, I also copy a copy of all the files into
a folder in my Dropbox so that I can stream the music on my iPhone or iTouch
directly from Dropbox.