[Mm-friends] UEB Presentation

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 22:55:58 EST 2015

Brett and All,

When BANA first considered the change and all Braille readers were debating it in our own way, I was very strongly opposed to UEB. I argued then that it would cause much more harm than good. Even now I am not excited about the upcoming transition and have not followed the trend of switching my Braille display to UEB "just for practice". However, whether we like it or not (and I don't), the change is inevitable. I have a feeling that knowledge of EBAE Grade 2 Braille will still come in handy, as the transition to UEB will likely not happen as quickly as BANA would like. Even after it goes into implementation in early 2016, transcribers will still be changing their software and teachers and students alike will still be learning the code. The hardest group to win over, in my opinion, will be the individual blind people, like Mary and I, who will continue to write Grade 2 as our own small act of rebellion. Bottom line: I think BANA has overestimated the seamlessness of this transition. My prediction is that they're going to be in for a surprise come next January.