[Mm-friends] UEB Presentation

jose cruz josecruz at panix.com
Mon Feb 16 05:20:46 EST 2015

Hi All: I agree that contracted Braille is better for many
reasons. What is the Library of Congress going to do with the
thousands of books that are printed in Grade 2 Braille? Also,
does UEB take up mor space and paper? I think it does! Is this
correct? Please let me know about the Library of Congress and the
printing issue!

Have a Great day All!

Jose

<bwilhelm2586 at gmail.com
>Date sent: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 03:56:20 +0000
>Subject: Re: [Mm-friends] UEB Presentation

>Brett and All,

>When BANA first considered the change and all Braille readers
were debating it in our own way, I was very strongly opposed to
UEB. I argued then that it would cause much more harm than good.
Even now I am not excited about the upcoming transition and have
not followed the trend of switching my Braille display to UEB
"just for practice". However, whether we like it or not (and I
don't), the change is inevitable. I have a feeling that knowledge
of EBAE Grade 2 Braille will still come in handy, as the
transition to UEB will likely not happen as quickly as BANA would
like. Even after it goes into implementation in early 2016,
transcribers will still be changing their software and teachers
and students alike will still be learning the code. The hardest
group to win over, in my opinion, will be the individual blind
people, like Mary and I, who will continue to write Grade 2 as
our own small act of rebellion. Bottom line: I think BANA has
overestimated the seamlessness of this transition. M
> y prediction is that they're going to be in for a surprise come
next January.