[Mm-friends] A couple questions for our fans

Mary Emerson maryemerson at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 22 20:05:51 EDT 2016

Hi,

Just tossing in my two cents ...

I'm one of the "holdouts" who doesn't have an Android or Apple device,
so most of the questions can better be answered by those with such
equipment.

I am deaf on one side, and can't hear in stereo, so I listen in mono
with my Victor Stream. It's much easier for me to understand voices if
they are close to normal speed. I can listen to faster voices on my
Stream if it's set to about 3 or 4, depending on the speaker's talk
speed. On recent shows there have been some voices, probably from an
Applee or Android device, that were so fast I had to skip the segment;
it was probably a demo of something, and I kept hearing incredibly fast
speech, and the person presenting the demo was talking on top of the
voice. This was even more challenging, since I cannot isolate one voice
out of a group of two or more voices. Hearing challenges differ for each
person who experiences them, but I've mentioned a few common challenges,
and I hope others can join the discussion.

Also, there are listeners whose native language is not English; when
you speed up a voice or talk on top of another voice or a device with
speech, you're making it very difficult for such individuals to
understand English.

Mary