Volume LV - June 2017 - No. 12
Published by the American Council of the Blind
Be A Part of ACB
The American Council of the Blind (TM) is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at 1-800-424-8666.
Contribute to Our Work
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6300 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 195, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB by the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
Check in with ACB
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the “Washington Connection” 24/7 at 1-800-424-8666, or read it online.
Learn more about us at www.acb.org. Follow us on Twitter at @acbnational, or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AmericanCounciloftheBlindOfficial.
© 2017 American Council of the Blind
Eric Bridges, Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
1703 N. Beauregard St., Suite 420, Alexandria, VA 22311
Table of Contents
- A Message from the President: Supreme Court Rules Favorably for Students with Disabilities, by Kim Charlson
- Seeing Outside the Disability Box, by Howard Axelrod
- Events Galore to Spark Your Curiosity in Reno, by Janet Dickelman
- Audio Description Project Announces 2017 BADIE Award Winners
- Sparks Fly in Preparation for ACB Walk, by Donna Brown
- Reno Roundup Seeks A Few Good Hands
- Eat, Drink, Dress Like the 1950s, Win and Be Merry, by Kenneth Semien Sr.
- Mega Deals at the Mini Mall, by Carla Ruschival
- The MMS Committee Wants to See You in Reno, by Jean Mann
- Marco Orsini Conducts Music without Seeing It or the Orchestra, by Maria Mannone
- Affiliate and Committee News
- Spotlight on ACB Students: Jessica Minneci, Treasurer
- Letter to the Editor
- Here and There, edited by Sharon Strzalkowski
- High Tech Swap Shop
- ACB Officers, Board of Directors and Board of Publications
- Accessing Your ACB Braille and E-Forums
Are You Moving? Do You Want to Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org. Give her the information, and she’ll make the changes for you.
Keep up with the most important ACB news and announcements without any other chatter. Subscribe to the ACB Announce listserv. Send a blank e-mail to email@example.com, or visit www.acblists.org/mailman/listinfo/announce and type your e-mail address and name where indicated.
ACB Radio has a new and improved web site; come see for yourself at www.acbradio.org.
Got a request? Tune in to ACB Radio Interactive and ask the DJ on duty to play it for you at www.acbradio.org.